Tuesday, April 27, 2010

reflections and assignments for 5/4/10

Dear Families,

This was a Tuesday I am glad to have behind me. I am sad to say that behavior was not satisfactory. I seemed to constantly have to tell the children to stop talking. There were way too many private conversations while learning and listening should have been happening. There were a few bright spots of undivided attention, but very few. Please tell your children to keep all attention on the subject at hand, to not speak out without raising hands to be recognized and, most importantly, to obey my directions promptly. I am most mindful of the teaching time we lose when those three courtesies are not followed. I want all of us to work hard and finish the year well. No coasting!

We missed Talia and Spencer and prayed for your safe return next week. I taught about the Vietnam War--a most difficult topic to summarize to a third and fourth grade level. Your student has a sheet we completed in class that I want them to go over with you. I did my best to explain why there were, and are, two views of that war and what an unsettling time that period was for our country. Mrs. Beach was my helper and had valuable input as her Dad was deployed three times to Vietnam.

We studied the Tet celebrations in Vietnam and your child should have some mementos to share with you. We cleaned our room as is done in preparation for Tet and made an interesting Apricot, coconut rice cake.

Latin had some difficult new concepts and really needs to be gone over well this week at home. We acted out the Bible story complete with palm trees and tent stakes! We broke into two groups and learned part of MLK's speech. Have your child recite their portion to you.

I look forward to seeing my students in May and having a most productive learning day.

love,
Mrs. Tkach

ASSIGNMENTS:
1. Read ch. 61 in the Bible Story Book.
2. Memorize Week 24 memory work.
3. Finish memorizing your part of the MLK speech and recite it for your family.
4. Read chapters 1--10 of THE DOG OF KNOTS.
5. Discuss the Vietnam War with your parents. Read chapter 39 in SOTW.
6. Complete Lesson 24 in Latin.

No comments:

Post a Comment