Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Dear Families,

We had a BUSY Tuesday. Chef Todd let us invade his kitchen and make hamentashen cookies like Sache did in our lit book. Some had "gold" pieces baked into them and some did not. Hopefully one made it home for you to see. Many thanks to Mrs. Tronda for being our helper. In Bible we discussed Passover and how it is still celebrated today. History was a bit brief but we did talk about the League of Nations that was an American President's idea and the man of steel--Joseph Stalin. Chloe had a picture of Lenin in his coffin that she shared with us. Another lit activity we "enjoyed" was mashing into a makeshift wagon and lying still while I read to them. This helped us to sympathize with the crowded ride Sache and her family endured while fleeing Russia. I have a friend with chickens and the thought did cross my mind. . . Ask your student the other thought that crossed my mind to make the experience real!

We did some more reading and discussing the digestive system in science. For geography I think the capitals are just about conquered. I'm proud of the students.

Latin: Well. . . I am sad that the students are so unhappy and I want to try to help. I want to breakdown the assignments that you do at home for you. Maybe that will make it less daunting. My plan is to press on with this curriculum since it was chosen by the board. I made some changes in how we had Latin in class and they seemed to "get it" a bit better.

In memory work, we presented our weeks. Sorry for such short notice. I've reassigned weeks below. Tronda pointed out that working on weeks out of sequence can be confusing to the children and of course, the point is for them to see the flow of history.

Please quiz them about our day. I feel it was quite successful.

Work hard on your studies, students, as if doing them for the Lord.

love,
Mrs. Tkach

p.s. I saw Riddock Sunday and he said to tell everyone hello!

ASSIGNMENTS:
1. Read chapter 37 in our Bible Story Book
2. New assignments of Veritas Cards for our presentation to the school:
Mills: Weeks 1 and 2
Amelia: Weeks 3 and 4
Spencer: Weeks 5 and 6
Talia: Weeks 7 and 8
Woods: Weeks 9,10,11
Chloe: Weeks 12, 13, 14
3. Say the She'ma for you parents from Deut 6:4.
Read Ch. 107 and 108 in our Bible story book about Esther.
Finish reading the lit book.
4. read ch. 24 in SOTW
5. In Latin, we wrote lesson 14's words three times in class. Some didn't finish but they were easy words. Use your own discretion as to whether you want them to finish doing that. Here is a suggested schedule for the week:
Wednesday: finish writing the words 3 times if you so desire
------------- fill in the derivatives on part A. They are: 1. tempo, 2. annual, 3. semester, 4. hour, 5. punctual, punctuation, 6. solar, solarium, 7. meridian, 8. antediluvian, anterior, 9. posterior, 10. no answer, 11. diurnal, 12. procrastinate, 13. no answer, 14. move, movie, 15. no answer
------------- complete exercise B
Thursday: Complete exercise C.
Friday: Complete exercise D and E
Monday: Complete exercise F and G and write lesson 15's vocab words 3 times each. Let's see if this helps.

I had a meeting at the high school until almost 9:00 pm. That's my excuse for not having this posted last night. That was unusual and I hope to be more prompt in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment